We've all heard that saying, "You are what you eat." Turns out, it's not just lip service. Get your glow on with nutrient-packed foods believed to boost hair growth while enhancing skin and adding a healthy shine to your hair.
Eat Your Way to Gorgeous Skin
Skip your vanity table and sidle up to the dinner table to get your fix of nibbles with just the right balance of nutrients to minimize wrinkles, soften skin and boost your radiance. Some of the top choices according to Prevention include:
- Olive Oil: Research reveals that people who consume more than 2 teaspoons of olive oil every day looked younger than people who eat less than 1 teaspoon. You can probably thank the one-two punch of monounsaturated fatty acids and antioxidant polyphenols for the anti-aging benefits.
- Dark Chocolate: Who says you can't indulge a little? This treat is chock-full of cocoa flavanols — powerful antioxidants that improve circulation and enhance hydration — that leave you with softer, smoother skin.
- Green Tea: Research links drinking green tea every day to smoother, more elastic skin with less sun damage after exposure to UV light. This tasty brew contains key antioxidants that boost the oxygen and blood flow to your skin, enhancing your natural glow and keeping your complexion looking healthy.
- Kale: It's more than just a trendy ingredient. Kale contains zeaxanthin and lutein — two key nutrients that help neutralize free radicals caused by UV light exposure. It also contains a mega dose of vitamins A and C, which help keep skin looking firm.
- Walnuts: Three words — omega-3 fatty acids. Do you want hydrated, beautiful skin? This is an essential nutrient. Walnuts give you a great dose, so why not eat a handful every day?
Fill Your Plate with Healthy Foods for Strong Hair
Your skin isn't the only thing that could benefit from eating a healthy, balanced diet. Healthline recommends some key foods to help give you healthy, shiny, strong hair, including:
- Protein: It's the building block of healthy hair. Your hair follicles are primarily made up of protein, but many people don't eat enough of it. Eat at least one serving of lean protein, such as eggs, soy products, fish and chicken, daily. Not getting enough protein in your diet has been linked to hair loss.
- Berries: The antioxidants and vitamin C in berries play a role in fighting damage caused by free radicals. Vitamin C is also key for supporting your body's ability to create collagen, which helps keep hair strong and break-proof.
- Spinach: Popeye was on to something! This leafy green veggie might not make your biceps swell, but it could boost hair growth. Spinach is a rich source of vitamins A and C along with folate and iron, all of which promote healthy growth.
- Avocados: Tasty and good for you! Avocados are loaded with healthy fats and vitamin E, which not only helps your hair grow faster but also protects your scalp and minimizes hair loss.
- Oysters: This shellfish offers a rich source of zinc, a nutrient that supports your hair's ability to repair itself.
Add Some Seriously Smart Supplements
Do you want to hedge your bets in the beautifying department? You can't always fill your plate with beautifying foods. Try taking a potent, powerful supplement designed to support your gorgeousness from the inside out. Today's vitamins for hair take an innovative, intelligent approach. For example, Orb Hair Skin Nails + Collagen might just be the future of beauty, with an amazing two-in-one delivery system, eight-hour time release and a formula that combines biotin and collagen for vibrancy, luster and strength along with Argan oil to hydrate and soften your skin. Now, that's beautiful.