Like the song says, "Summertime…and the livin' is easy." Just the thought of summer evokes visions of lazy days spent swinging in hammocks, cool drinks and big fun. But for many, as the weather gets warmer, the urge to travel, embark on an adventure and simply get outside to play can easily derail normal health and wellness routines. Here's the secret: It's all about finding balance. To help get you started, we rounded up a few essential summer wellness tips.
As summer's heat settles in, your risk of dehydration increases. That's particularly true during heat waves. Common signs of dehydration range from increased thirst to dark urine and muscle cramps. Four tips for staying hydrated include the following:
- Keep a water bottle with you at your desk and while you're on the go.
- Try adding fresh herbs and fruit or a natural additive to make water taste better.
- Sip a cup of herbal tea as part of your nightly ritual to boost your fluid intake every night.
- Fill your plate with hydrating foods like fruits and veggies.
Slather on the Sunscreen
The sun feels great, but it can be tough on your skin. Prevent sunburn, skin damage and the early signs of aging by including sunscreen in your daily routine. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends choosing a sunscreen according to three main criteria:
- Look for broad spectrum sunscreens that shield your skin from UVA and UVB rays.
- Don't even think about anything with SPF levels lower than 30.
- Water resistance for the win! These formulas stay on sweaty or wet skin best.
Don't Forget Your Vitamins
Whether you're on vacation, staycation or working through the summer, start every day doing something positive for your health by taking the best multivitamin. Taking Orb's Women's or Men's Multi + Fish Oil daily supports your summertime fun and kickstarts your internal engine to generate energy levels for every adventure while fueling your brain and delivering fish oil, omega 3 and other essential vitamins and minerals to support total body health.
Fire Up the Grill
Summertime and grilling go hand in hand. Even better, grilling lets you avoid heating up the kitchen while giving you a healthy way to prepare your meals. For healthy summer eating, follow some simple grilling tips:
- Save burgers and hot dogs for special occasions: Stick with lean proteins like fish, chicken breast and pork loin or select grades of beef, which have less fat than prime grades do.
- Marinate, marinate, marinate: Add flavor while using minimal salt for heart-healthy dishes that don't skimp on zing and zest.
- Add tons of color to your plate: Grilling veggies gives them wonderful flavor while balancing out your plate. Try asparagus, zucchini, eggplant — you won't believe how delicious eating your veggies can be!
Take Some Me-Time
It's easy to get caught up in a never-ending litany of family vacations, get-togethers with friends and romantic getaways, but summer is also the perfect time to spend a little time on your own. Yoga Journal recommends taking a solo hike or walk or engaging in some other activity to remind yourself of how much you're capable of all on your own. As a bonus, you also gain a little extra calm and a fresh perspective on the day.