Fish oil might be the superfood you didn't know you needed, but your future self will thank you for taking it. Chock-full of omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil offers a wealth of benefits, ranging from supporting healthy brain function to fighting inflammation, according to Harvard Health Publishing. Although you can maximize the benefits by getting your omegas from food, let's face it — you can't always fill your plate with fish.
That's why fish oil is among the most popular supplements used by U.S. adults, according to a National Health Interview Study. If you're considering joining the more than 18 million people already taking fish oil, here are the important details you need to know.
What is it?
Fish are a particularly good source of omega-3 fatty acids — and not just any omega-3s. Fish oil contains two of the most important ones: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). The names may sound like tongue twisters, but these two key substances are responsible for a host of impressive benefits.
Why do you need Fish Oil?
WebMD points out that fish oil is approved by the FDA to help lower triglyceride levels, but that's not its only superpower. A few of its other benefits include:
- Supporting a healthy cardiovascular system: Many people use fish oil to help prevent heart disease, lower blood pressure, prevent blood clots and support healthy cholesterol levels.
- Kidney health: WebMD also notes that fish oil has been used by many people to alleviate kidney disease and complications related to diabetes.
- Feeding your brain: There's a reason people refer to fish as "brain food" and take fish oil to support their brain health. Our brains are made up of about 60% fats, according to Healthline, and most of those fats are omega-3 fatty acids.
- Treating some forms of mental illness: Healthline also points out that people with some forms of mental disorders like depression and anxiety appear to have lower than normal levels of omega-3s in their blood. Research suggests that supplementing with fish oil can help improve symptoms.
- Protecting your skin: Our skin is our largest organ, and events like aging or too much exposure to the sun can cause damage. Not only does fish oil have the potential to help you maintain your glow, it can also minimize the symptoms of psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Supporting a healthy pregnancy: Studies suggest that fish oil can boost the health of pregnant and nursing mothers as well as their babies. Getting plenty of omegas is essential for supporting a developing life.
Where do I find fish oil?
Now that you know more about what fish oil has the potential to do, you're probably wondering how you can get the most benefits. Eating fatty fish like sardines, salmon and mackerel is one way to supplement your diet. Finding the best fish oil supplement is another helpful way to add omega-3 fatty acids to your daily intake.Look for supplements designed to work with your body and meet your unique needs. To make it super easy to get all your necessary nutrients, we include fish oil in our Women's Multi and Men's Multi. Not only do you get a quality multivitamin, you also get a formula with time-released omega 3 fatty acids. It makes taking care of your health easy.